Completion date: 2011
The Witkacy Theatre came to life as a result of a Department of Theatre Dramaturgy and Department of Dramatic Acting of the Academy for the Dramatic Arts in Cracow student’s group initiative. The first spectacle’s premiere was held in 1985. The theatre headquarters is located in a building from 1910. Originally, the facility served as a Dr Chramca’s Water Treatment Unit, and after its bankruptcy – The Red Cross Sanatorium.
The history of Zakopane theatres showed, that it is a very hard task to set up a theatre in such place, one which would give possibilities to perform spectacles all year long. In the past, the Zakopane theatres functioned only during the tourist season, and the spectacles were focused on the sightseers. When Mr. Andrzej Dziuk, together with Julia Wernio and the group of future Academy of the Dramatic Arts students were setting up a theatre in Zakopane, very few people believed that such facility will last under the slopes of Tatry. Thanks to its program, it became a modern and willingly visited theatre.
In 2009, the rebuilt of the Main Stage began. The recording studio and an Art studio came to being, and on the stage itself – the modern stage lighting system and sound appliances were installed. The audience is ready to welcome up to 300 people – in different settings (theatre, concert or conference hall).
In the framework of the contract, P.S. Teatr fitted the stage in, inter alia: aluminum truss system, roofing, platforms as well as an intercom communication system of the stage manager, together with the stage sound system.
The light park, aside from many luminaires installed, was based on Vari*Lite VL1100 Series (10 pcs.) and MAC TW1 by Martin (12 pcs.). Lighting control was based on the Congo Junior console by ETC (with the remote control feature). Also the Glaciator and ZR44 by Jem/Martin heavy fog machines were delivered. The installation works, with cooperation with the Elwo-Light company, took three months to complete.